Michael A. Fant, Jr.
601 South Osprey Avenue
Sarasota, Florida 34236
Michael “Mike” Fant is Board Certified in construction law by the Florida Bar; a distinction held by a small percentage of the attorneys in the State of Florida. Mike is a Partner at Gurley Fant and focuses his practice on construction and surety law including issues arising from the design and construction of public and private projects, generally; public procurement, bids, and bid protests; contract negotiation and preparation;
Florida’s Construction Lien Law; claims and notices under Chapter 558 of the Florida Statutes; HOA and COA disputes; construction defects; surety payment and performance bond claims under state and Federal law; claims review and preparation including selection, engagement, and coordination with expert consultants; alternative dispute resolution; and enforcement and defense of his client’s rights, claims, defenses, and remedies through litigation when necessary. As part of his practice, Mike also continues to represent clients in a variety of complex commercial litigation matters.
Mike earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Industrial and Systems Engineering at the University of Florida and went on to earn his Juris Doctorate Degree from the University of Florida, Levin College of Law. Before joining the Firm, Mike worked in Birmingham, Alabama, at a premier regional law firm gaining deep experience in a wide range of complex litigation matters.
Mike was born in Temple, Texas, and has lived abroad and all over the United States. Mike and his wife, Meghan, have three daughters. Mike enjoys golf, fishing, and spending time with his family supporting their various endeavors. Mike is involved in the Insurance and Surety Committee of the Florida Bar, the Gulf Coast Builders Exchange, the Florida Surety Association, and the Florida Surety Claims Association.
- Surety Law
- Construction Law
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Defense
- Insurance Coverage
- Condominium Law
- Trial Practice
- Association Law
- J.D., University of Florida, May 2012
- Magna Cum Laude
- Order of the Coif
- B.S. (Industrial and Systems Engineering), University of Florida, May 2009
- Cum Laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- The Florida Bar, 2012
- The Alabama Bar, 2013
- United States District Court, Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- United States District Court, Southern District of Alabama
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Eagle Scout, 2000