P.O. Box 8387 Fernandez Juncos Station
San Juan, Puerto Rico 00910-0397
Alfredo Fernandez-Martinez has been dedicated to litigation at both the federal and state court levels and has developed extensive experience in commercial litigation. He has also led several complex high-profile cases involving construction, banking, employment and distribution relationships. Given his business education and acumen mixed with his extensive trial experience, Alfredo is coveted by many commercial clients for his ability to understand their business needs and objectives when faced with judicial processes.
Alfredo has extensive trial experience as he has participated in dozens of jury trial cases in federal court and has also led many trials in local court. In his practice, Alfredo has also successfully argued many cases before the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
After receiving his J.D. from the University of Puerto Rico School of Law, Alfredo served as a law clerk to the Honorable Antonio S. Negron Garcia, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. He has counseled the Puerto Rico Chapter of the Associated General Contractors, leading financial institutions, and commercial and manufacturing companies in Puerto Rico. He has served as counsel and Secretary of the Board of Directors of more than fifteen of the leading manufacturing and distribution companies in Puerto Rico. Alfredo has also provided legal services to disabled public school students, allowing them to maximize their potential in school and in life.
Alfredo has presented at numerous conferences and seminars in the construction industry and various trade associations. He authored the Puerto Rico Chapter, State-by-State Guide to Design Construction Contracts and Claims, an Aspen publication, and has served as counsel for the Puerto Rico Court Administration.
Alfredo was born in Santurce, Puerto Rico. Alfredo and his wife, Nuria, have two sons, and he spends his free time attending his children’s basketball games, playing tennis, golfing and attending major sporting events. He is actively involved in community and religious organizations, including the Puerto Rico Center for Social Concerns, and he serves as an advisor to the San Gabriel School for the Deaf in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Alfredo actively supports the cause of disabled children and helping them obtain the services they require to address their special needs in school and at home.
- Harvard Law School, “Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges”
Professional & Community Affiliations:
- American Bar Association (Forum Committee on the Construction Industry; Fidelity and Surety Law Committee; Business Law Section; Civil Litigation Section; Labor Law Section)
- Puerto Rico Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Puerto Rico Notary Public Association
- Board of Director, Make a Wish Foundation – Puerto Rico Chapter
- Board of Director, Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- La Conveniencia de Litigar los Casos de Hostigamiento Sexual en el Foro Arbitral, 62 Rev. Jur. U.P.R. (1993)
- Puerto Rico Chapter, State-by-State Guide to Design and Construction Contract and Claims, Aspen Publishers, Inc.
- Puerto Rico Chapter of Taxation and Investment in the Caribbean, International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation (1992-2003).
- The Constitutional Validity of the Puerto Rico Educational Voucher Program. Thesis presented at Harvard Law School.
- Surety Law
- Construction Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Education Law
- Trial Practice
- L.L.M., Harvard University, 1995
- J.D., University of Puerto Rico, 1993
- B.B.A., University of Notre Dame, 1990
Bar & Court Admissions
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- United States District Court, District of Puerto Rico
- United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- United States Supreme Court