601 South Osprey Avenue
Sarasota, Florida 34236
Joseph M. Herbert practices primarily in the areas of business, construction, real estate, and employment law; handling a wide variety of disputes and negotiations within those areas. In addition, Joseph has helped clients in business and partnership formation and disassociation, a wide variety of contract drafting and evaluation, as well as general civil litigation matters.
Following a career in business management, Joseph obtained his Juris Doctorate with honors from Stetson University College of Law simultaneously with his Masters of Business Administration with honors and began practicing law in 2010.
Joseph was born in Louisville, Kentucky and, following his service in the U.S. Navy, has lived and worked in Sarasota since 2003. He has a wife and two daughters and enjoys spending his free time with his family. Joseph is a supporter of the Sarasota branch of the John Hopkins All Children’s Hospital as well as other community causes and organizations, and contributes a portion of his practice to the provision of pro-bono services to persons in need of legal assistance. Joseph is a past Chair of the Sarasota County Bar Association Employment Law Section, as well as a past member of the Diversity Committee Section and a current member of the Business Law Section Steering Committee. He has been awarded the President’s Award for services in support of the Sarasota Bar and has given lectures on general employment and business matters, the effects of healthcare changes on businesses, and other matters. Joseph is admitted to practice in the state courts of Florida and the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Florida.
- Silver Award, Legal Aid of Manasota (recognized for 50 to 99 hours of pro bono legal services) (2011, 2012)
- Bronze Award, Legal Aid of Manasota (recognized for 20 to 49 hours of pro bono legal services) (2013)
- Sarasota County Bar Association President’s Award (for Commitment in Providing Exceptional Governance Oversight for the Board of Directors) (2011-2013)
- “Affordable Care Act - Impact on Employers and Small Businesses”
July, 2013 and September 2013
- “Controlling Unemployment Compensation Costs”
- “Human Resource Law: What You Need to Know Now”
Topics presented include: “Recent Developments in Employment Law,” “Hiring/Recruiting,” and “Workplace Behavior and Privacy Issues.”